As there seems to be a dearth of nectar at the moment, I decided to feed the colonies. The 1st year colony I call Venice looks like it slowed down a bit. right after I added the 2nd super. I admit, I am a bit worried Milano will get into that capped honey in the super I am taking. Conflict: If they take it - it means they need it and I probably shouldn't take it.... I figure I'll take it and feed the rest of the season.
My pride and joy - the colony I call Sicily - is doing well despite my many mistakes. I moved two frames of brood with queen cells into a new hive. It was VERY, VERY slow going. With only nurse bees and no foragers as well as un-emerged queens, it took a long time for this to get going - but it's going fine now. I fed them pollen patties and sugar water. Being weak as long as it was created my first ever look at hive beetles. Yuck! I dispatched a few and cleaned out my top feeder and fed them They are now 5 full frames plus two other half frames - and, finally, show a defense when I inspect (I used to be able to inspect them without any gear). If they winter, I am going to try to get them in place to harvest the peach orchard nectar and fill a Ross Rounds super. Specialty comb honey! Can't wait.